Towers of Time is a game mode that made its debut in Mortal Kombat 11. It is an ever-changing rotation of challenging Towers with different objectives, challenges and attributes per Tower. Completing a Tower grants players Experience Points for their profile in addition to Experience Points towards their character's Gear that they have equipped. Towers can also offer Koins, Souls and Hearts for the game's Krypt, in-game currency, currency for the Store, consumables or modifiers for Towers, and customization options for characters. If a Tower is completed consecutively, its rewards will be reduced the more it is played, however these rewards can be earned again if the Tower reappears at a later time.
Completing Towers also unlocks the Brutal Difficulty, which will reward more items for players to unlock. Brutal increases the Towers' base difficulty, including modifying the fighters for the fight and the overall frequency of their modifiers. Brutal Difficulty is permanently unlocked for a Tower after completing it and can be immediately selected for the Tower should it reappear at a later time. Additionally, selecting Brutal Difficulty disables the ability to continue the current Tower should the player lose at any time during it, however equipping the Sacred Blood Beetle Konsumable overrides this option and allows players to continue Brutal Difficulty regardless if they lose. Brutal Difficulty is not available in the One Time Towers or Multiplayer Towers, with the exception of Stage 6 of the Character Towers. The Sacred Blood Beetle Konsumable does not work on the Stage 6 Towers of the Character Towers.
Every Tower varies in difficulty and the Towers are very different from the standard Arcade Towers. Players can also modify their characters with Augments for their Gear that can grant them additional bonuses or effect for Towers in addition to using consumables and modifiers. Augments for Character Gear can only be used in Arcade Towers or the Towers of Time and have no effect in online multiplayer matches.
There are several event types:
One Time Towers
- Tutorial Towers: Four short towers that you must complete before you can access the other types. These teach you concepts like endurance, consumables, and boss battles. Once these Towers are completed, they can not be entered again.
- The Gauntlet: A collection of 30 Stages of Special Towers with different difficulties and traits than any other Tower in the Towers of Time. Each Stage can have a standard modifier to a unique to bizarre modifier and requirements. Completing each Stage and Tower rewards the player with exclusive Gear for characters only found in The Gauntlet in addition to being reward Time Krystals, an in-game currency exclusive to the game's Store that can also be purchased using real world money. Once Stage 30 is complete, the Tower can never be played again.
- Character Towers: Each character in MK11 has their own unique set of Towers featured in six different Stages. Each Tower has a set requirement that must be completed to proceed to the next Tower. These requirements are listed below (See Character Towers below). Completing each Tower earns the player Koins, Souls, Hearts, Augments and most importantly customization options for their character. These items include Intros, Outros, Fatalities, Brutalities, Gameplay Taunts and Gear for the character for their appearance. Once a Tower is completed, it can never be played again.
- Upon completing all five the main Stages, a sixth Stage is unlocked featuring only Boss fights with heavy modifiers. Completing these Towers rewards Jinsei Augments for the selected character, the rarest Augment in the game in addition to more Gear. Each Tower increases in difficulty just like the regular Character Tower but reward higher level Jinsei Augments as a result of completing them. Due to the difficulty of these Towers, Augments are highly recommended when trying to complete each Tower. Unlike the towers of the previous stages, these towers can be played again after the first completion.
- Timed Towers: Every Tower in the Towers of Time is timed, some being for only an hour to some being available for up to 9 hours. These Towers are all different and can have a series of different Stages and Towers to complete or simply be a single fight Boss Tower.
- Premier Towers: These Towers are featured Towers for a limited time. These Towers also offer exclusive Gear or unlockables that are only unlockable when they are available. Premier Towers also change for events of the year or sometimes when new content for the game becomes available for all players. With the content related Towers, these include DLC characters that will be available for any player to play regardless if the player has downloaded or purchased said character, similar to that of a trail. Additionally, holiday-themed Towers and Stages can appear with exclusive items and modifiers for players to unlock should they be completed.
- Heroic Towers: These Towers can contain either set of Towers, or one Boss Tower.
- The set of Towers contains three simple Towers, sometimes complicated by modifiers for some opponents. Some of these Towers can be played only by using AI, some of them are the Survival Towers (one healthbar for the selected character for entire Tower).
- The Boss Tower has heavy modifiers and set at the max difficulty. Only one fighter is fought during this Tower, however this can be a challenge due to the fighter's increased difficulty and modifiers.
- Rapid Towers: These Towers are standard Towers with simple modifiers for increased difficulty. These Towers can consist of multiple Towers that finish off with a Boss Tower or can simply be a single Boss Tower like a Heroic Tower.
- Tag Assist Towers: These Towers always feature a fighter assisting the opponent, where the fighter will enter from off screen and attack the player with a random attack before retreating. Additionally, a single Tower can also be present, which features a multi-fighter Tower consisting of a single fight where the player must fight two fighters that have the ability to tag-in and tag-out of the fight whenever they wish.
- Summoned Towers: Special Towers accessed by using Tower Keys. These Towers can be repeated if the player has multiple of the same Tower Key. These Towers deactivate after some time or when completed.
- Meteor Tower: A Special Tower that can only be summoned at a certain time of the day through a specific button combination that offers exclusive Gear for characters only obtainable in the Kombat League. These Towers are single Boss Towers at an extreme difficulty and require a large amount of Coins, Souls and Hearts to participate in. These Towers last for one hour once summoned, however leaving the Towers of Time at any time after summoning the Tower immediately deactivates it.
- Ko-Op Towers: These Towers are single fight Boss Towers that can be completed with other online players. These Towers are extremely difficult and feature fighters with extremely high health and powerful modifiers that change as their health depletes. Players can also choose to play these Towers by themselves, however doing so increases the difficulty. Playing these Towers in a Solo run allows the player to use Augments equipped to their characters. Augments can also be used if paired with other players. There are three types of Towers that players can participate in:
- Group Battle: This Tower consists of three players fighting one Boss. Each time a player dies, the next player is forced into the fight. The Tower ends once all players are defeated or the Boss itself is defeated. During the fight, the players on the sidelines are given three modifiers that they can use to benefit the player that is currently fighting the Boss. These include modifiers that can armor or heal the player fighting, or modifiers that can inflict damage or negative effects towards the Boss.
- Tag Battle: Similar to a Tag Assist Tower, two players fight off against a Boss where either player can tag the other player in to fight. Players that are defeated can not longer participate in the fight at hand and must rely on their teammate to finish. The Tower ends if both players are defeated or the Boss is defeated. This Tower can be played Solo by picking two characters as one player.
- Raid Battle: A Tower in which players must defeat a Boss character whose health is shared between all players. The team has lives, and lives are lost when a player is defeated. The team will win if one person succeeds in defeating the Boss, regardless if everyone else loses. The players will still lose if all lives are spent and no one defeats the Boss. The Boss will use modifiers that will gradually be added as their health decreases. Players can also receive useful modifiers if they have all successfully completed the appearing challenges. This Tower can not be played Solo and requires at least two people to play.
Each character has six stages of character towers. Each stage can be unlocked by spending Koins and/or souls. Within each stage will be a five towers. These towers have their own range of requirements, which can be unlocked doing certain actions during gameplay. These actions must be done ether in Towers of Time, or in Klassic Towers, or in online matches. In order to progress, these actions must be completed.
|Stage||Unlock Cost||Completion Requirements|
|Stage 1||25,000 Koins||Complete the First Tower of the Stage, Spend 50 Souls, Connect 15 Uppercuts and Throws|
|Stage 2||50,000 Koins||Spend 100 Souls, Spend 250 Souls, Perform 5 Fatalities and 3 Brutalities|
|Stage 3||75,000 Koins||Spend 50 Hearts, Spend 100 Hearts, Perform 10 Krushing Blows and spill 5,000 drops of blood|
|Stage 4||100,000 Koins
|Perform 15 Fatal Blows, get 3 Flawless Victories (this counts if it is only one round), 15 wins, and perform 10 Krushing Blows|
|Stage 5||150,000 Koins
|Win 25 matches, perform 20 Fatal Blows, perform 15 Fatalities and 15 Brutalities.|
|Stage 6||250,000 Koins
100 Soul Fragments
|10000 Koins per attempt, 25000 Koins per attempt, 50000 Koins per attempt, 250 Souls per attempt, 100 Hearts per attempt|