This entire lake was filled with blood. The souls of the dead that are there are put to use with their bodies added to the sea of the blood of the damned. The sea is also bottomless; those who fall in it can never escape.
The primary arena is situated on a seaside cove situated near the banks of the actual Sea of Blood, with Kharon's ship fleet seen in the far background near an overlooking tower, or lighthouse. In the cove itself are long worn rocks and cliff sides, the undersides covered in blood-red algae, a long abandoned anchor with a skull on it, blood colored weeds and ferns, and a rotting carcass of a leviathan to the far left just under the cliff side.
Those that traveled the sea through boat were often challenged by bloody Undead skeletons that boarded their craft and attempted to kill the living.
Raiden disposes of the immortal Geras by tying him in a chain and dropping an anchor attached to the chain within the Sea of Blood. Since Geras cannot die from drowning, he was doomed to fall forever. However, as mentioned in an intro dialogue, he escaped after being eaten by a Leviathan.
Erron Black's Arcade ending has him dropping Kronika's hourglass into the Sea of Blood, so that no one would ever gain it and use it.
The Terminator's Arcade ending has him willingly enter the Sea of Blood in order to prevent anyone from obtaining information regarding Kronika's hourglass stored in his databanks.
The Sea of Blood includes five arena interactions. From farthest left to right they are:
- The body of the dead leviathan can be jumped off of to escape the corner.
- A lone starfish resting on a rock can be thrown at the opponent.
- A skull faced anchor can be jumped off of to either side.
- An empty crate that can be thrown at the opponent.
- A wall that can jumped off to escape the corner.
- Throwing the large starfish at the opponent when they are 10% health or lower, while holding the R1 button down, will result in the starfish hitting their head with enough force to destroy it, leaving the starfish covering their blood spurting neck before their body falls over.
- This is the second stage in Mortal Kombat 11 to have a normal and alternative Stage Brutality associated with it; tossing the starfish at the opponent causes their head to fly off and the starfish to fix itself in its place.