—Satoshi (Jubei) to his father in Mortal Kombat: Legacy
Satoshi Hasashi (波佐志さとし) also known by his 'pet' name Jubei (ジュベイ) is the son of Hanzo Hasashi and Harumi Hasashi. Along with his mother, he was a victim of the Shirai Ryu massacre. Satoshi serves as a minor character in the Mortal Kombat franchise, but he is one of the driving reasons why Hanzo returned as a Specter, now known as Scorpion, in order to avenge his clan and family.
- 1 Appearances
- 2 Appearances in other media
- 3 Gallery
- 4 Trivia
- 5 References
- 6 See also
Upon encountering Scorpion for the second time, Scorpion, now a Spectre, confronted Sub-Zero for destroying his clan and killing his family, and attempts to have his revenge. However, Sub-Zero was not directly respond to their death.
Sometime after his return to the Netherrealm, Scorpion learned from Quan Chi that his wife and child had been slain by Kuai Liang, the younger Sub-Zero. After defeating Sub-Zero, Quan Chi showed up and told Scorpion that he was actually the one who murdered his family.
Satoshi is mentioned in Scorpion's MK: Armageddon ending, where he, Harumi, and the Shirai Ryu clan are fully resurrected by Scorpion after he obtained the powers of a god for defeating Blaze. However, as Scorpion is reunited with his family, Quan Chi appears and kidnaps Satoshi, escaping into the Netherrealm. Enraged, Scorpion ordered his clan to hunt down the sorcerer and retrieve his son.
He appears in the illusion made by Quan Chi, in which Bi-Han is framed for his murder in Mortal Kombat (2011). In the illusion, Harumi is hiding in their home, with an infant Satoshi, while the Shirai Ryu massacre is occurring. However, "Sub-Zero" finds them in their home and pulls out a sword. As he prepares to kill them, his mother attempts to comfort and protect Satoshi from their fate. As "Sub-Zero" cuts both of them down, Harumi lets out a bloody scream. Upon seeing the illusion, Scorpion becomes enraged and kills the elder Sub-Zero, who he previously promised to spare for Raiden in exchange for his clan to be resurrected.
Satoshi referred to by his 'pet' name Jubei appears in the Mortal Kombat X comic series when Hanzo is poisoned by the demon-possessed Fox. In his delerium, Hanzo fights through the Lin Kuei with ease during the Shirai Ryu massacre before finding the frozen bodies of Jubei being held by his mother, Kana. Seeing his families corpses, Hanzo falls to his knees in grief and mourns over their deaths. However, Hanzo soon realizes what he is witnessing isn't real when confronting the Elder Sub-Zero, awakening from his delerium.
Appearances in other media
He debuted in the seventh episode of season 1 of the web series, Mortal Kombat: Legacy, and is portrayed by Brandon Nomura.. Jubei dreams of joining the Shirai Ryu like his father. His mother, however, does not want Jubei to join the Shirai Ryu, and hopes that Scorpion will eventually be able to convince Jubei to follow another dream. Jubei was also chosen to sing a song for the Shogun. After two Lin Kuei ninjas trick Hanzo into leaving the house, an assassin enters the house and kills Kana while Jubei hides. When he attempts to defend himself, Jubei is killed by the evil sorcerer Quan Chi, who was in the form of Bi-Han.
In Season 2, Jubei returns in a flashback that takes place years before the Shirai Ryu massacre. When he and his parents are walking down a path between the Shirai Ryu and Lin Kuei territory, Kuai Liang, Bi-Han's younger brother who's against the possibility of peace between the two clans, holds Jubei hostage with his friends. When Hanzo reminds him that this goes against his brother's wishes, Kuai Liang let's go of Jubei, who runs back to his mother. However, Kuai Liang and his friends then attack Hanzo, who is forced to seemingly kill them while Kana prevents Jubei from seeing the bloodshed.
After Harumi was killed along with other Shirai Ryu members by Lin Kuei assassin led by Quan Chi in the guise of Sub-Zero, Satoshi was held as a hostage by "Sub-Zero", who threatened to kill him if Hanzo did not surrender. However, after Hanzo surrender, Satoshi was killed in front of Hanzo, who was then killed by "Sub-Zero" by impaling him with an icicle from the mouth.
Mortal Kombat (2021 film)
4 centuries ago, Bi-Han led a group of Lin Kuei assassins to Japan in order to kill Hanzo Hasashi and the clan of Shirai Ryu. Bi-Han's group arrived when Hanzo was away from his house. Satoshi tried to defend his mother before both of them were killed with an icicle that froze their bodies by Bi-Han.
- Although he was first mentioned as simply Scorpion's child without specifying gender in Scorpion's background story and ending of Mortal Kombat, he did not receive an official name for over two decades until the Mortal Kombat X Comic Series, in which he was given a canon name, Jubei Hasashi, which was based on the name given to him in Mortal Kombat: Legacy. Additionally, it was not established Scorpion's child was a boy until Scorpion's ending of Mortal Kombat: Armageddon.
- However, in the Story Mode when Scorpion heard about the true murderer of his family, he muttered Satoshi instead of Jubei. It was later revealed by comic writer Shawn Kittelsen that "Satoshi" is his real name while "Jubei" is Hanzo's pet name for him.
- According to Scorpion's Mortal Kombat ending, he is survived by Harumi and Satoshi. However, this is later retconned in Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero as Harumi and Satoshi were killed along with other Shirai Ryu members.
- Satoshi's age has varied through the Mortal Kombat media, as he has been shown to be an infant in the canon material, but a child in others, such as Legacy.