The Oni are demonic creatures that reside in the Netherrealm that have appeared throughout the series.
The Oni makes its playable debut in Mortal Kombat Mobile.
About the Oni
The Oni are the denizens of the Netherealm, however they appear to be completely savage in nature. They do not seem to speak and only roar or growl but seem to be obedient to leaders of the Netherrealm, such as Shinnok, Quan Chi, and the Revenant versions of Liu Kang and Kitana.
The Oni's overall appearance changes with every appearance in the games they are depicted in.
In Mortal Kombat X's Story Mode, they appear as large hunched-over creatures with grey skin with glowing orange eyes and glowing orange streaks throughout their body with spikes that protrude from various parts of their body. Additionally, two types of Oni are present, ones with streaks that only appear on their upper body and arms and ones that possess wings with larger streaks throughout their entire body.
In Mortal Kombat Mobile and Mortal Kombat 11's Story Mode, the Oni have natural armor plating on their bodies, however their appearances are different. In MK Mobile, the Oni has gold armor with brown skin while in MK11, they have a pale skin color and the color of their armor is roughly the same as their skin. Additionally in MK11, the have the same glowing orange streaks on their bodies like in MKX, however these are drastically reduced. Another noticeable difference is that the Oni in MK11 appear to wear some sort of combat pants and boots, wield swords and have large horns that vary in size and shape between each Oni.
Mobile Game Moves
- Demonic Curse: When defeated, the current opponent lose a bar of Power. (MK Mobile - Oni Card - Passive)
- Singe: The Oni shoots an small energy ball from its mouth at the opponent to deal damage. (MK Mobile - Oni Card)
- Bounded: The Oni kicks the opponent in the shin then slams them over the head with an empowered fist that knocks them down. The opponent is affected by Blind, giving a chance for their basic attacks to completely miss. (MK Mobile - Oni Card)
- The Oni change in appearance with each game they appear in.
Mortal Kombat X
- The Oni appear in Johnny Cage's Chapter in the Story Mode and at Raiden's Sky Temple being led by Quan Chi. The Oni do not reappear again after this despite Shinnok making a second invasion of Raiden's Sky Temple.
Mortal Kombat Mobile
- The Oni are only known to growl, screech and snarl, however the Oni in MK Mobile reuses Quan Chi's audio when attacking, being attacked and being defeated.
- The Oni is the only Bronze character card that can inflict a debuff, this being the Blind debuff from its Special 2.
- Unlike many of the Bronze character cards, the Oni borrows all of its combos and attacks from Quan Chi in MKX.
- In a technical sense, the Oni is the second of two Bronze cards that can Power Drain the opponent, the other being Ninja Mime Johnny Cage.
Mortal Kombat 11
- While the Oni receive a redesign as stated above, this is the only game where every Oni does not share the same appearance like in MKX, instead they are given different looks based on their armor, facial features and horns.
- This is also the first depiction where they use weapons and what appears to be combat pants.