The New Era was the name of the planned reset of history by Kronika, and later mentioned by other Kombatants who succeed in defeating Kronika. As the Keeper of Time, Kronika envisioned this new age once her son, the Elder God Shinnok, was permanently taken out by Raiden of an intricate game she designed for him: to be the bastion of death and darkness against his sister, also an Elder God, Cetrion, the bastion of life and light. With his exclusion, it was impossible for her meticulous plan to find perfection.
The main difference from the present timeline was that Raiden was to be wiped from history, and this was not only a necessary feature in order to avoid him unbalancing reality, but as a token of loyalty by using his enemies to defend the New Era, particularly Shao Kahn, Kitana and Liu Kang. While this was to be the main difference between present and possible future, the goal Kronika wanted to achieve was to revive Shinnok and put him once again to pose as an opposite to Cetrion, while both kept their complex and tricky battle against each other by feeding on the war between the realms.
Kronika promised other changes to those who would assist her plans, most of them Raiden's enemies, however, it is unclear whether or not she planned on honoring her commitments. These changes included:
- Shao Kahn regaining his throne and reigning over an empire vaster than that of Outworld
- Making Frost the Grandmaster of the Lin Kuei
- Stopping Jacqui Briggs from joining the Special Forces and expanding the Briggs Family
- The full revival of the Tarkata
- The restoration of the Matoka Tribe without The Great Spirit
- The formation of a clan Noob Saibot can lead, as well as altering his death at the hands of Scorpion
- The survival of the Kytinn
- The revival of the original Shirai Ryu clan and Scorpion's family for the younger Scorpion
- The Black Dragon's successor-ship of the world
- Sektor's revival of the Cyber Lin Kuei
- Glory for Revenant Kung Lao
- A new life for the Revenants Kitana and Liu Kang without Raiden
If Kronika did succeed in resetting the timeline, what happens next for now depends on the ending of Mortal Kombat 11's Story Mode:
- If the player loses one round to her, Liu Kang is unable to keep her from resetting time and going back to the Chaotian Age, erasing everything that has ever existed. This way, only the Chosen One and Raiden remain to sculpt the Sands of Time.
- If the player manages to win both rounds, Liu Kang is not only successful in avoiding Kronika resetting everything by her own, but as the timeline still goes on, he is capable of bringing Kitana with him. Once he does, both reset time to erase Kronika's mischievous plans, and they assume the mantles of Keeper of Time and Protector of Earthrealm.
It is revealed that the ending where Kronika wins once and Liu Kang wins twice is used as a canon for this story. However, Liu Kang and Raiden were stopped by Fujin along with time-displaced Shang Tsung and Nightwolf from using Kronika's Hourglass to create the New Era due to the destruction of Kronika's Crown. Shang Tsung reveals that her Crown was not merely an amplifier, but the most vital component of the Hourglass. Without it, the Hourglass will begin to break and in doing so, doom all of reality. The following story will eventually end up with the 2 different scenarios at the end.
If Shang Tsung becomes the Keeper of Time:
- Raiden and Fujin become his loyal Dark servants.
- Shang Tsung conquers Earthrealm, Outworld, and the Netherrealm.
- Shang Tsung plans to conquer Chaosrealm and Orderrealm.
If Fire God Liu Kang becomes the Keeper of Time:
- Shang Tsung would be erased from all existence.
- Liu Kang's friends will return once again.
- The Great Kung Lao is chosen as the Fire God's champion.