The New Era was the name of the planned reset of history by Kronika. As the Keeper of Time, Kronika envisioned this new age once her son, the Elder God Shinnok, was permanently taken out by Raiden of an intricate game she designed for him: to be the bastion of death and darkness against his sister, also an Elder God, Cetrion, the bastion of life and light. With his exclusion, it was impossible for her meticulous plan to find perfection.
The main difference from the present timeline was that Raiden was to be wiped from history, and this was not only a necessary feature in order to avoid him unbalancing reality, but as a token of loyalty by using his enemies to defend the New Era (particularly Shao Kahn, Kitana and Liu Kang). While this was to be the main difference between present and possible future, the goal Kronika wanted to achieve was to revive Shinnok and put him once again to pose as an opposite to Cetrion, while both kept their complex and tricky battle against each other by feeding on the war between the realms.
Kronika promised other changes to those who would assist her plans, most of them Raiden's enemies, however, it is unclear whether or not she planned on honoring her commitments. These changes included:
- Shao Kahn reigning over an empire vaster than that of Outworld;
- Making Frost the leader of the Lin Kuei;
- Stopping Jacqui Briggs from joining the Special Forces and expanding the Briggs Family;
- The revival of the Tarkata;
- The formation of a clan Noob Saibot can lead, as well as altering his death at the hands of Scorpion;
- The survival of the Kytinn;
- The revival of the Shirai Ryu clan and Scorpion's family;
- The Black Dragon's successor-ship of the world;
- Sektor's revival of the Cyber Lin Kuei;
- Glory for Revenant Kung Lao;
- A new life for the Revenants Kitana and Liu Kang without Raiden.
If Kronika did succeed in resetting the timeline, what happens next for now depends on the ending of Mortal Kombat 11's Story Mode:
- If the player loses one round to her, Liu Kang is unable to keep her from resetting time and going back to the Chaotian Age, erasing everything that has ever existed. This way, only the Chosen One and Raiden remain to sculpt the Sands of Time.
- If the player manages to win both rounds, Liu Kang is not only successful in avoiding Kronika resetting everything by her own, but as the timeline still goes on, he is capable of bringing Kitana with him. Once he does, both reset time to erase Kronika's mischievous plans, and they assume the mantles of Keeper of Time and Protector of Earthrealm.