Mortal Kombat Legends: Battle of the Realms is an animated movie based on the popular Mortal Kombat series of fighting games by Warner Bros. and the sequel to Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge.
A couple is attacked and killed by tarkatans, only for Raiden to appear and save the couple's child, at her last grasp, the mother names the boy "Liu Kang".
Years later, after the conclusion of the Mortal Kombat tournament, Shao Kahn throws Outworld's forces against Earthrealm, accompained by Kitana, Kintaro, Reiko, Jade and Baraka. Kung Lao, Curtis Stryker, Jax Briggs, Johnny Cage, Sonya Blade, Liu Kang and Raiden form Earthrealm's resistance and manage to counter Outworld's offensive. Shao Kahn arrives and asks Raiden to go to the Elder Gods with him asking for a new tournament that will end the endless cycles of brutality, Raiden agrees.
Scorpion returns to the Netherrealm after the collapse of Shang Tsung's Island and is received by Shinnok. Shinnok explains that the key Scorpion obtained in the island has bound with his soul, and asks him to enter Earthrealm to open the Temple of Elements and bring the artifact that it protects. Scorpion denies and flees to Earthrealm.
In the Lin Kuei's temple, the grandmaster orders Kuai Liang and Smoke to capture Scorpion under the contract of an unnamed employer. He shows Cyrax and Sektor, who were declared missing, now in cybernetic form, ready to transform the duo into one of them. Kuai Liang manages to escape but Smoke is left behind, being initiated by the cyborgs.
Raiden and Shao Kahn appear in front of the Elder Gods and ask to declare a new tournament. Raiden also asks to be allowed to participate in the tournament as a contestant, in exchange for his immortality. The Elder Gods granted their wishes. Raiden returns to Earthrealm, now a mortal, and gather the realm's forces to join the tournament. After all contestants enter the portal, Scorpion appears and tells to Raiden what Shinnok told him. Raiden explains that the temple hold the Kamidogu, a relic of the realms that once all of them are reunited they will unleash the power of the One Being. As a mortal, Raiden cannot separate Scorpion's soul from the key, and asks him to keep fleeing in Earthrealm.
At Outworld the forces of Earthrealm meet the contestants of Shao Kahn, composed by Li Mei, Kintaro, D'Vorah, Reiko and Jade. Johnny Cage is defeated by D'Vorah, Liu Kang defeats Jade, Stryker defeats Baraka, Li Mei is defeated by Sonya and Kintaro is killed by Jax.
Back on Earthrealm, Scorpion is attacked by Sektor and Cyrax. The duo outstands the ninja, but they are stopped by Kuai Liang, now the new Sub-Zero, and engages in a fight with Scorpion. the fight is interrupted by Smoke, now turned into a cyborg, and releases Cyrax and Sektor. the trio takes the ninjas down and capture Scorpion, leaving for the island. At the island, Scorpion is forced to open the temple by the cyborgs. As they are about to fight, Sub-Zero appears and freezes the trio and advances on Scorpion, who flees to the temple. In the temple, after a brief fight Scorpion convinces Sub-Zero to join force with him to protect the Kamidogu against Cyrax, Sektor and Smoke. The duo is taken down by the cyborgs, who manage to get the Kamidogu and flee to Netherrealm. Scorpion, a revenant, takes Sub-Zero with him to the realm to confront Shinnok.
In Outworld, Raiden casts Reiko off the tournament, Sonya defeats D'Vorah, Jax is defeated by Shao Kahn, Shang Tsung kills Stryker and Kung Lao is killed by Shao Kahn. Raiden and Kitana fight each other, but Kitana betrays Shao Kahn by attacking him. Surviving the attack, Shao Kahn defeats Kitana and imprisions her in the Koliseum. Liu Kang battles with Shang Tsung, but the sorcerer manages to curse the shaolin's left arm. Despite in disvantage, Liu Kang wins and spares Shang Tsung's life.
In the Netherrealm, the Lin Kuei Grandmaster arrives with the trio of cyborgs and delivers the Kamidogu to Shinnok, revealing to be his secret client. The elder god reveals the true nature of the artifact and unleashes the forces of Netherrealm into the Lin Kuei, killing them. As the demons destroy the cyborgs, Sub-Zero and Scorpion arrives but are unable to stop Shinnok from gathering the One Being's power.
In the tournament, Raiden is slained by Shao Kahn in battle. The final confrontation is between Liu Kang and Shao Kahn. Liu Kang kills Shao Kahn and is declared the winner by the Elder Gods, but they summon him as Raiden's chosen one to fight against Shinnok, as his fusion with the power of the One Being caused the realms to start merging. With the power of the Elder Gods, Liu Kang takes Johnny, Sonya, Jax and Kitana to the fusion to protect earthrealmers, as he turns into a giant dragon and battles with Shinnok. Shinnok gets the upper hand, but is stopped of executing Liu Kang by Sub-Zero and Scorpion. As Liu Kang defeats Shinnok, he vanishes the fallen god of existence, separating the realms and returning with the warrior to the Koliseum.
When questioned by Jax if Shao Kahn or someone else tries to take Earthrealm by force, Liu Kang answers that they are there to stop any invasion. From afar, Raiden is revived and got his godhood back whilewatching them as he leaves with lighting showing in the skies.
The following Mortal Kombat characters appears in the movie:
- Joel McHale — Johnny Cage
- Jennifer Carpenter — Sonya Blade
- Jordan Rodrigues — Liu Kang
- Patrick Seitz — Scorpion
- Artt Butler — Shang Tsung, Cyrax, Shao Kahn's Soldier
- Robin Atkin Downes — Shinnok, Reiko
- Dave B. Mitchell — Raiden, Kintaro, Sektor
- Ike Amadi — Jax, One Being
- Grey Griffin — Kitana, Satoshi Hasashi, Li Mei
- Fred Tatasciore — Shao Kahn
- Matthew Mercer - Stryker, Smoke, Demon One
- Bayardo De Murguia - Sub-Zero / Kuai Liang
- Matthew Yang King - Kung Lao
- Paul Nakauchi - Lin Kuei Grandmaster
- Emily O’Brien - Jade, Lin Kang
- Debra Wilson - D'Vorah
The film was released on August 31, 2021 on Digital, DVD, Blu-ray and Ultra HD Blu-ray.
- Like its predecessor, another special variant of the Warner Bros Animation opening logo for this movie, only this time a Scooby Doo character, a demonic Shaggy Rogers, is in place of Porky Pig while Scorpion is been grabbed by Shaggy back to the Netherrealm.
- This is more than likely to promote the upcoming Courage the Cowardly Dog and Scooby Doo crossover film set for a 2021 release later on September 14th.
- This could also be a reference to Ed Boon's Twitter post back in January 2019 where he sarcastically post a fanart of "Ultra Instinct" Shaggy meme, which led to a petition by fans demanding him to be added in Mortal Kombat 11 as a guest character. Although the petition had reached its goals, the developers however denied Shaggy's inclusion. Unlike the original meme, Shaggy is not depicted with the silver aura depicted from the Dragon Ball franchise, rather a green demonic aura with glowing green eyes.
- Johnny Cage, D'Vorah and Shinnok have their designs based on their Mortal Kombat X standard costume.
- Stryker, Kung Lao, Kintaro, Jade, Sub-Zero, Cyrax, and Sektor have their designs based on their Mortal Kombat (2011) standard costume.
- Unmasked Sub-Zero has his facial design based on his Mortal Kombat X Kuai Liang costume.
- Smoke has his appearance based on his Mortal Kombat (2011) alternate costume.
- Smoke’s Cyber Form is based on Triborg’s design appearance from Mortal Kombat X.
- Reiko has his design based on his Mortal Kombat: Armageddon standard costume.
- Li Mei has her design based on her Mortal Kombat: Deception alternate costume.
- Raiden in his mortal form has his design based on his Mortal Kombat (2011) standard costume.
- The Kamidogus have their shape and design based from Mortal Kombat: Deception.
- The sparring of Smoke and Sub-Zero takes place in Lin Kuei Palace.
- The tournament fights take place in Kahn's Koliseum.
- Shang Tsung eliminates Stryker with his Identity Theft fatality from Mortal Kombat (2011).
- Shao Kahn finishes Kung Lao with his Double Down fatality from Mortal Kombat (2011).
- Shao Kahn imprisons Kitana in a similar way seen in the Mortal Kombat (2011) version of Kahn's Koliseum.
- The assembling of the Kamidogus by Shinnok takes place in Shinnok's Throne Room.
- Liu Kang with the power of the Elder Gods takes a form of a dragon very similar to his A Beast Within fatality from Mortal Kombat (2011).
- When Shinnok fused with the One Being, he takes the physical form similar to his Corrupted version from Mortal Kombat X.
- Matthew Mercer reprises his role as Stryker from Mortal Kombat (2011).
- Dave B. Mitchell reprises his role as Sektor from Mortal Kombat 11.
- Matthew Yang King, who voiced Liu Kang and Fujin in Mortal Kombat 11, voices Kung Lao.
- Jade has been credit as Skarlet.
- D'Vorah has been credited twice between both Debra Wilson and Emily O'Brien.
- Li Mei has been credited as Mileena.