Mortal Kombat 11 is both the 11th fighting game and the 22nd installment in the Mortal Kombat series, developed by NetherRealm Studios, QLOC & Shiver and published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. It was released on April 23rd, 2019 for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and Microsoft Windows via Steam.
An expansion for the game was released on May 26, 2020, entitled Mortal Kombat 11: Aftermath. This expansion includes an additional story mode, three new characters, new stages, and the return of stage fatalities and the friendship finishing move.
An updated version, called Mortal Kombat 11: Ultimate was released on November 17, 2020. This version features the main game in additional to all its downloadable content, along with an enhanced 4K experience for the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5.
NetherRealm Studios is known for having developed the Mortal Kombat titles, and also the Injustice series. For Mortal Kombat 11, the new Custom Character Variation system will be introduced, the official press release states that it will “deepen and personalize the player experience by giving them creative control of building customized versions of the character roster”.
- Main article: Mortal Kombat 11's Story Mode
Some time after Shinnok's defeat at the hands of Cassie Cage, Raiden is seen torturing the fallen Elder God in the damaged Jinsei Chamber. The God of Thunder, now with a darker persona due to the Jinsei's corruption, announces to Shinnok that he will no longer have mercy and will destroy Earthrealm's enemies before they can attack the realm. Though Shinnok reminds him that he cannot kill an Elder God, but Raiden retorts that "There are fates worse than death" and decapitates him. Raiden resolves to deliver him to Liu Kang in the Netherrealm as a warning and before teleporting away.
The Keeper of Time, Kronika, appears in the chamber, enraged at Raiden for upsetting the balance of time after the events of Mortal Kombat X. She confronts and tells Shinnok that the Arc of Time bends to her will and that "it's only a matter of time."
Tired of Earthrealm’s defiance, Kronika will bring order to the universe through any means necessary.
Mortal Kombat 11 contains a roster of 24 playable characters and 13 DLC characters so far.
- Cassie Cage
- Erron Black
- Frost (available to play after completing Chapter 4 or in-game purchase before completing Fourth Chapter)
- Jacqui Briggs
- Jax Briggs
- Johnny Cage
- Kotal Kahn
- Kung Lao
- Liu Kang
- Noob Saibot
- Sonya Blade
- Descendant of Apep (playable in the Krypt only, appears deceased in Aftermath Story Mode)
- Cetrion (Sub-boss in Story Mode)
- Kronika (Unplayable, Boss)
Kombat Pack 2
Non-Playable Characters (NPCs)
- Amara (Rain's Arcade ending)
- Argus (Konsumable, Rain's Arcade ending)
- Ashrah (Konsumable, Krypt Kollector trade item)
- Blaze (Fighting Rain in the Krypt, Konsumable)
- Batman (Joker's Puppet and Friendship)
- Bo' Rai Cho (Liu Kang's Arcade ending, Towers of Time modifier)
- Chameleon (Occasionally falls to his death in the Pit, Krypt Kollector trade item)
- Cyrax (Story Mode fightable NPC, Towers of Time modifier)
- Daegon (Konsumable, Rain's Arcade ending)
- Dairou (Konsumable)
- Darrius (Konsumable)
- Delia (Krypt Kollector trade item, Rain's Arcade ending)
- Drahmin (Konsumable, head appears in the Krypt as Kollector trade item)
- ED-209 (RoboCop's Urban Pacification Intro, Fatal Blow and Dead Or Alive Fatality)
- Ermac (Occasionally falls to his death in the Pit, Towers of Time modifier, morphed into by Shang Tsung, cameos in Rain's Power Washer Fatality)
- Gemini (Konsumable)
- Goro (Deceased in the Krypt, Story Mode, corpse sits on throne in Goro's Lair Arena, various Arcade endings)
- Great Kung Lao (Kung Lao's summoned spirit and Arcade ending, Aftermath Story Mode non-fightable NPC)
- Hana (Nightwolf's Eagle Spirit)
- Havik (Towers of Time modifier, Konsumable, Joker's Arcade ending)
- Hotaru (Joker's Arcade ending)
- Hsu Hao (Erron Black's A Day's Work Intro - severed head, Towers of Time modifier, Joker's Arcade ending)
- Hydro (Towers of Time modifier)
- Jarek (Konsumable)
- Jataaka (Konsumable)
- Jerrod (Sindel's Arcade ending)
- Kenshi Takahashi (Deceased in the Krypt, Towers of Time modifier, Krypt Kollector trade item)
- Khameleon (Konsumable)
- Kharon (Story Mode non-fightable NPC)
- Khrome (Occasionally falls to his death in the Pit)
- Kintaro (Shang Tsung's Shokan Reborn Fatality, Sheeva's Arcade ending)
- Kiba (Nightwolf's Wolf Spirit)
- Kidd Thunder (Raiden's Friendship)
- Kira (Konsumable)
- Kobra (Konsumable)
- Komo (Nightwolf's Bear Spirit)
- Kung Jin (Towers of Time modifier, various Arcade endings)
- Malebolgia (Spawn's Arcade ending and Malebolgia Outro)
- Mavado (Konsumable)
- Meat (Towers of Time modifier, occasionally appears in Blood Pits of Krypt)
- Moloch (Deceased in Goro's Lair, Towers of Time modifier)
- Motaro (Konsumable, Sheeva's Insult to Injury Intro - severed head, Sheeva's Arcade Ending)
- Nitara (Towers of Time modifier)
- No-Face (Konsumable)
- Onaga (Kung Lao's Arcade ending, Konsumable)
- Oni (Towers of Time modifier)
- Phlebiac Brothers (Spawn's Arcade ending)
- Quan Chi (Towers of Time modifier, Krypt Kollector trade item, Sub-Zero's Arcade ending)
- Reiko (Towers of Time modifier)
- Reptile (Found in the Krypt, Towers of Time modifier, morphed into by Shang Tsung, cameos in Rain's Power Washer Fatality)
- Sareena (Kabal's Arcade ending, Konsumable)
- Sektor (Story Mode fightable NPC, Towers of Time modifier)
- Shinnok (Story Mode non-fightable NPC, Towers of Time modifier, appears in Shinnok's Bone Temple arena, various Arcade endings)
- Smoke (Occasionally falls to his death in the Pit, Towers of Time modifier, morphed into by Shang Tsung, cameos in Rain's Power Washer Fatality)
- Stryker (Towers of Time modifier, Krypt Kollector trade item, RoboCop's Arcade ending)
- Takeda Takahashi (Various Arcade endings, Towers of Time modifier)
- Tanya (Towers of Time modifier, Krypt Kollector trade item, Mileena's Arcade ending)
- Tasia (Konsumable)
- Taven (Konsumable, Rain's Arcade ending)
- Torr (Krypt Kollector trade item)
- Tremor (Occasionally falls to his death in the Pit, Towers of Time modifier)
- Triborg (Towers of Time modifier, head appears in the Krypt as Kollector trade item)
- Violator (Spawn's Violated Intro and Arcade ending)
- Wanda Blake (Spawn's Friendship)
- Water God (Konsumable)
- Shang Tsung's Island Ruins
- Special Forces Desert Command
- Black Dragon Fight Club
- Shinnok's Bone Temple
- Shaolin Trap Dungeon
- Black Market Alley
- Tarkatan War Kamp
- Tank Garage Bunker
- Goro's Lair
- Cyber Lin Kuei Assembly
- Sea of Blood
- Kronika's Hourglass (3 versions)
- Kharon's Ship
- Kotal's Koliseum
- Koliseum Beast Pen
- Shirai Ryu Fire Garden
- Wu Shi Dragon Grotto
- Lost Hive of The Kytinn
- Kronika's Keep
- Dead Pool
- Soul Chamber
- Pit (Krypt only)
- Pit Bottom (Krypt only)
- Warrior Shrine (Krypt only)
Characters' Live Backgrounds
- Sonya Blade, Johnny Cage, Cassie Cage, Jacqui Briggs and Jax in Special Forces Desert Command and Tank Garage Bunker
- Kano and Kabal in Black Dragon Fight Club and Black Market Alley
- Baraka in Tarkatan War Kamp
- Kronika, Cetrion, and Geras in Kronika's Hourglass and Kronika's Keep
- Kotal Kahn and Shao Kahn in Kotal's Koliseum
- Kollector in Koliseum Beast Pen
- Scorpion in Shirai Ryu Fire Garden
- Liu Kang and Kung Lao in Wu Shi Dragon Grotto and Shaolin Trap Dungeon
- D'Vorah in Lost Hive of The Kytinn
- Frost in Cyber Lin Kuei Assembly
- Noob Saibot in Shinnok's Bone Temple
- Shang Tsung in Shang Tsung's Island Ruins
- Sindel in Soul Chamber
- Sheeva in Deadpool and Goro's Lair
- Rain fighting Blaze in the Krypt
A list of the modes that are available to play in Mortal Kombat 11.
- Story Mode
- Towers of Time
- Klassic Towers
- AI Battles
- Fatality Training
New to the Series
Gear System: Kombatants now have 3 Gear pieces unique to the character. The characters have a wide variety of Gear items to choose from. Additionally, the Gear items can be leveled up, to add special attributes that can help the player during single player or AI fights.
Achievements and Trophies
The Premium Edition includes:
- Kombat Pack:
- 6 new DLC playable characters
- 1 week early access to DLC characters
- 7 Skins
- 7 sets of gear
The Kollector's Edition includes:
- Everything from the Premium Edition
- Exclusive Dragon Logo Magnet
- Scorpion Mask
The Aftermath Kollection includes:
- Mortal Kombat 11
- Kombat Pack
- Aftermath Expansion
- New Cinematic Story
- 3 new DLC playable characters
- 3 new skin packs
The Ultimate includes:
- Mortal Kombat 11
- Kombat Pack 1 + 2
- Aftermath Expansion
The game was revealed by Ed Boon on December 6, 2018, at The Game Awards of 2018.
- Ike Amadi – Shao Kahn, Cyrax
- Linden Ashby - Johnny Cage (1995 movie skin)
- Troy Baker – Erron Black, Shinnok, falling Krypt ninjas (uncredited)
- JB Blanc - Kano
- Steven Blum – Sub-Zero, Baraka, Shang Tsung as Reptile (uncredited), Tarkatan Warriors (uncredited)
- Ed Boon - Scorpion ("Get over here!" and "Come here!" voice clips), Jax ("Gotcha!" voice clips), Movie Director
- Andrew Bowen - Johnny Cage, Shang Tsung as Rain (uncredited)
- Jonathan Cahill - Kabal
- Sara Cravens - Frost
- Sean Chiplock - Noob Saibot, Kharon
- Vic Chao - Lin Kuei Cyborgs (uncredited)
- Chris Cox - The Terminator
- Keith David - Spawn
- Megalyn Echikunwoke - Jacqui Briggs
- Richard Epcar – Raiden, The Joker
- Jennifer Hale – Kronika
- Kelly Hu – D'Vorah
- Mara Junot - Sindel
- Matthew Yang King – Liu Kang, Fujin
- Andrew Kishino - Shang Tsung gameplay grunts (uncredited)
- Ken Lally - Shang Tsung as Smoke (uncredited)
- Christopher Lambert - Raiden (1995 Movie Skin)
- Phil LaMarr - Kotal Kahn, Osh-tekk warriors (uncredited), falling Krypt ninjas (uncredited)
- Erica Lindbeck - Cassie Cage
- Mela Lee - Jade
- Will Yun Lee - Kung Lao gameplay grunts (uncredited)
- Daniel Lujan - Nightwolf
- Sunil Malhorta - Kung Lao, The Great Kung Lao, Osh-Tekk warriors (uncredited)
- Vanessa Marshall - Sheeva
- Mary Elizabeth McGlynn - Cetrion
- Dave B. Mitchell - Geras, Sektor
- Andrew Morgado - Kollector
- Dempsey Pappion - Rain
- Beata Pozniak - Skarlet
- Jamieson Price - Announcer, Shang Tsung as Ermac (uncredited)
- Kathleen Puls Andrade - Additional voices
- Ronda Rousey – Sonya Blade
- Sylvester Stallone - John Rambo
- William Christopher Stephens - Jax Briggs
- Karen Strassman - Mileena during Kitana’s Friendship (uncredited)
- Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa - Shang Tsung
- Dimitri Vegas - Himself as Sub-Zero
- Kari Wahlgren – Kitana, Mileena
- Peter Weller - RoboCop
- Bridgette Wilson - Sonya Blade (1995 Movie Skin)
- Ron Yuan – Scorpion
Voice actors whose audio for characters from previous games that are reused are credited as uncredited in italics. Voice actors whose audio is simply reused for minor characters are simply credited as uncredited.
IGN Fighting Game of the Year (2019)
- The original version of Test Your Luck is absent from the game, however with the release of Mortal Kombat 11: Ultimate, the Towers of Time feature hidden, unlockable Stages as a modified version of Test Your Luck simply called "Test Your Luck", featuring extremely difficult Towers with modifiers and fighters at extreme difficulties that reward very rare items, cosmetics and modifiers should the player actually complete all the Towers.
- This is the first Mortal Kombat game in over 20 years, specifically since Mortal Kombat 4, to be titled with just a number rather than a subtitle. While the previous entry was the tenth game in the mainline series, Mortal Kombat X, as a Roman numeral, does not count, as all of the marketing referred to the "X" as the letter, not "ten".
- Unlike the previous game, character dialogue listings during match introductions do not differentiate as a result of chosen skins, meaning Revenant versions of characters will talk as if they're still Human, and present-iterations of characters can speak as if they're their past-iterations.
- This is the first mainline Mortal Kombat title to not feature Quan Chi as a playable character, a fightable enemy or so much as a cameo since his debut in Mortal Kombat 4 in 1997. Although he was not playable in Mortal Kombat Deception, he could still be found and fought in the game.
- This game has a massive amount of skins, with everyone from the base roster having at least 60.
- This is also the first game in which all DLC characters, guest characters included, have additional outfits, as Mortal Kombat (2011) and Mortal Kombat X only had one outfit for its DLC characters and an alternate color for Player 2.
- This is the first Mortal Kombat game where all playable characters speak during their own Arcade ending.
- Between the Story Mode, Krypt and gameplay, many characters use reused audio for either gameplay or cameo appearances in the game from previous games like Mortal Kombat (2011) and Mortal Kombat X. The additional voices are listed in the cast, with the actors/actress that have their audio reused listed as italicized uncredited (See Above).
- This marks the first game in which DLC that was added was also part of the Story Mode.
- Additionally, the previously released DLC characters also have roles in the expansion.
- This game has no in-game character bios. Every game in the main series starting from Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance has had this feature. The official Mortal Kombat 11 website has the official bios instead, which the DC Comics fighting game Injustice 2 had done previously.
- With the release of Aftermath expansion, Mortal Kombat 11 marks the return of Friendships, which haven't be seen since Mortal Kombat Trilogy, released 24 years prior the update.
- Mortal Kombat 11 is the second game in the series to feature two guest characters from a shared Universe in the game as playable characters, this being the Terminator and RoboCop from their shared comics and video game RoboCop Versus The Terminator. The first game to do this was Mortal Kombat X, which features the Alien and Predator from their shared Alien vs. Predator franchise that spans different comics, video games and a cinematic franchise in film.
- With the announcement Mortal Kombat 11: Ultimate, this was the first game in the Mortal Kombat series to come to PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X.
- This is the second Mortal Kombat game to which Rain is a DLC Character, the first is Mortal Kombat (2011).
- Files for Ash Williams from the Evil Dead/Army of Darkness franchise were found in the Nintendo Switch version of the game at launch, as well as some intro dialogues. These files were eventually removed from the game.
- Mortal Kombat 11 – Official Story Prologue Trailer
- https://store.steampowered.com/app/976310/Mortal_Kombat11/. Steam Store. Retrieved on 2018-12-28.
- Metascore for Mortal Kombat 11 on PCMetacritic, Retrieved February 28, 2020
- Metascore for Mortal Kombat 11 on PS4Metacritic, Retrieved February 28, 2020
- Metascore for Mortal Kombat 11 on SwitchMetacritic, Retrieved February 28, 2020
- Metascore for Mortal Kombat 11 on Xbox OneMetacritic, Retrieved February 28, 2020