While appearing through the series, the Monk makes his playable debut in Mortal Kombat Mobile.
The Monk, or rather multiple Monks, is introduced in the series as a non-playable character seen in the background of the Shang Tsung's Courtyard arena in Mortal Kombat.
In Mortal Kombat Mobile, Monk became a playable character and gained more background information.
In his first appearance, monks appeared in the background for Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, MK: Deadly Alliance, Mortal Kombat: Deception, Mortal Kombat (2011) and are more prominently featured in Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks.
Many monks appear in Mortal Kombat 11, appearing in the Shaolin Trap Dungeon and on Shang Tsung's Island Ruins as zombified monks resurrected by a Revenant Jade. They later reappear in the final Chapter of the game's Story Mode during the raid on Kronika's Keep.
The Shaolin Monks have the Wu Shi Academy and Shaolin Temple as their training grounds. They were attacked by Baraka and the Tarkata in MKII and a lot of them, were killed by Zombie Liu Kang, the enforcer of a corrupted Raiden in MKD.
They are a common enemy in Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero and use a variety of weapons.
Mobile Game Moves
- Sacrifice: When defeated, all teammates that are still alive instantly receive +1 bar of Power. (MK Mobile Monk Card - Passive)
- Fists of Flurry: The Monk grabs the opponent, holds them down over his knee and delivers a barrage of punches to their face before elbowing them in the stomach and delivering a knee strike that knocks them away. This attack is completely unblockable. (MK Mobile - Monk Card)
- Shaolin Style: Spawning a sword from thin air, the Monk quickly advances forward while slashing the opponent three times with his sword to deal damage. (MK Mobile - Monk Card)
Mortal Kombat Mobile
- The Monk is the only Bronze character card with a grapple attack, this being his Special 1.
- The Monk uses Kung Lao's combos and fighting stance from MKX when fighting, however his Special 2 attack is entirely original and exclusive to his character.
- The Monk is the only character that grants teammates a bar of Power upon defeat.