Kahn's Arena, also known as Shao Kahn's Arena, Battle Arena, Kahn's Koliseum and Kotal's Koliseum, is located in Outworld outside Shao Kahn's palace fortress where he will watch battles and sometimes participate. There are countless spectators in the coliseum that come to observe the many battles that take place. Their emperor, Shao Kahn, observes the fights from his throne and enjoys the ensuing battles. To either side of his throne, certain prisoners are chained and forced to watch the spectacle.
Debuting in Mortal Kombat II, Sonya Blade and Kano were held in Kahn's Arena as prisoners forced to observe the vicious battles that took place. Crowds of Outworlders watch in the background as the kombatants fight, cheering whenever Kintaro or Shao Kahn hits the player character with a powerful attack. Shao Kahn sits on a throne in the center stage, standing to announce the winner to finish their oponent, and leaves the throne to personally fight the final kombatant.
Kahn's Arena also reappeared in Mortal Kombat Trilogy; however, Sonya and Kano were removed from the background as both characters were playable.
In Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks, Kahn's Arena returns and serves as the stage for the final battles of the game against Shang Tsung, Kintaro, and Shao Kahn. The arena is depicted slightly different; the arena is no longer a walkway, but an elevated circular platform. Kano and Sonya still appeared chained up in the background; however, if the player engages in a secret boss battle with Kano, neither can be seen in the final fights (with Sonya being freed and Kano being dismembered).
In Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, Kahn's Arena was renamed to "Battle Arena". This time as an octogonal arena at the center of which is a wooden platform, where the fighters start, that is raised to the middle of the coliseum at the beginning of a fight. As in previous versions, Kahn watches the fights personally, sitting at his throne atop a staircase leading to the outer area of the arena (he is still seen sitting regardless of whether both or either player has chosen Shao Kahn). The arena contains four death traps, one located in each diagonal corner: a giant meat grinder northwest, an acid pool northeast, a lava pool southwest, and a pit filled with long spikes southeast. At the outer part of the fighting area are two breakable wooden pillars east and west, and Shao Kahn's Wrath Hammer appears as a stage weapon, at the northern part of the arena. The arena also has four prisoners in chains, posted on a platform above each one of the death traps. All of them appear to be Shao Kahn's slaves, and none of them is animated.
In Mortal Kombat (2011), Kahn's Arena was renamed to "Kahn's Koliseum". Five characters can be randomly shown to be chained in the background - Kira, Li Mei, Tanya, Kitana and Skarlet. The emperor is now fully animated, mocking the fighters during the fight. In addition, this version is shown to have a dirt floor instead of a concrete linear pathway used for fighting, a much larger viewing audience for the width of the arena's spectacular and violent battles with a Tormentor fending off tamers in the background. The audience will also frequently throw assorted garbage into the arena during the fight. This stage serves as the last arena in the "Mortal Kombat II" retelling and the final stage in the arcade ladder with the battle with Shao Kahn.
In Mortal Kombat 11 Kahn's Arena, now Kotal's Koliseum, was changed drastically when Kotal Kahn became the emperor, where besides the usual death matches and public executions, more traditional gladiatorial events now take place such as chariot racing and battles against the many vicious beasts of Outworld. The background arena now includes various Mayan motifs, a pit which leads to a beast pen, weapons and shields were placed and gladiators riding in chariots are present. During the time anomaly, fragments of the former coliseum are present, merging with the stadium of the present.
The koliseum features five stage interactions, which from farthest left to right are as follows:
- Three burning logs from a smoldering grill pit, which can be thrown at a high angle, knocking jumping opponents down.
- A discarded shield, which when grabbed is used to bash the opponent across their chest and jaw.
- A collapsed chariot, which can be jumped off of to escape the corner.
The arena appears as it does in Mortal Kombat II in Retrocade. Shao Kahn, Sonya, and Kano appear as they originally did. However, if any of them are in the current fight, they will absent from the background panel.
- In the beta version of MK Trilogy for the N64, this stage was included and featured Raiden and Baraka in the background in place of Kano and Sonya. Ultimately, this stage was removed from the final N64 release (it remains in the CD-based versions, though with no prisoners at all.)
- In MK 2011, if Kitana and Skarlet are both used in Tag Ladder, Tanya will still be present taking Kitana's side, but no one will take Skarlet's place. Kira is, however, seen in the PlayStation Vita version.
- This stage makes a cameo appearance with Scorpion, Sub-Zero, and Shao Kahn in another NetherRealm Studios game, Injustice: Gods Among Us.
- The Kolliseum was built by the Naknada.
- It is used in the Story Mode of the game.
- In MK 11, owing to it's time-merger plot it is sometimes possible to see parts of the Koliseum beginning to morph or clash with it's past, Shao Kahn-endorsed version. Said version sports darker walls and drapery adorned with Shao Kahn's imperial sigil.