The Gods are deities like the Elder Gods, however, they are less powerful and only have power over one realm instead of all realms. Unlike the Elder Gods, regular Gods seem to be partial to interfering in the realms' destinies' regularly, considering the aforementioned positions and actions of the known Gods above.
Being less powerful than Elder Gods, normal gods have limitations. Gods are not allowed to participate in mortal affairs unless in mortal form. Thus, for a god to participate in Mortal Kombat, they are required to occupy a human form. In addition, gods cannot interfere in the affairs of other realms as they do not hold any rule in a foreign domain, and they also risk losing any powers they had in their native realm, but they recover them by returning to their own realm. According to Fujin's MK: Armageddon bio, Raiden, after he sacrificed himself in his mortal form in Outworld, his energies should have dispersed and then reformed in Earthrealm. His spirit would have been reborn, having no memories of the past. He would have become a new god of thunder, neither good nor evil. It is unclear if the other gods can do this.
Raiden was initially Earthrealm's protector, but he later handed this capacity over to Fujin after his ascension to the status of an Elder God. Shao Kahn is also revealed in Mortal Kombat: Deception to be the same species as Raiden and Lucifer, which would make both Shao Kahn and Lucifer god protectors of Outworld and Netherrealm. Though never seen, Konquest mode of MK: Deception indicates the existence of Kochal, the God of Chaos, who released 'The Tempest' that made the Chaosrealm into what it is today, and resides in the Netherrealm, giving the Oni to sorcerers who require their services. Mortal Kombat: Armageddon introduces Argus, the Protector of Edenia. His sons, Taven and Daegon, are both demigods as his wife, Delia, is a powerful mortal sorceress. In Rain's ending, it is revealed he is Argus' other son from another relationship, making him a demigod as well.
According to Fujin's Mortal Kombat: Armageddon bio, he conversed with gods from other realms about the possible reasons for Raiden's madness.
In Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, particularly in Liu Kang's ending, there are shown few more deities alongside Raiden, Argus and Fujin including two goddesses (one goddess with a ninja mask) and a god with an animal-like face.
In Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, various endings state certain characters become gods upon defeating Blaze. For example, Sheeva becomes a goddess of destruction; Nitara became a blood goddess; Kira became a goddess of death in Kobra's ending; Sub-Zero becomes an ice god; and Sektor transformed into a god without given an exact title although he is called "an abomination of flesh and technology". In his ending (Konquest and Arcade Ladder), Taven becomes Protector God of Edenia, taking Argus' place, while he becomes an Elder God.
The majority of the playable characters in Mortal Kombat 11 become Keeper of Time in their endings, which can be considered a form of godhood.
There were other non-canon Gods depicted in other various forms of media. For example, the Mortal Kombat comics by Malibu featured the two brothers — Abacus, God of Order, and Zaggot, God of Chaos. Raiden was also depicted as having two female servants who were Goddesses — Wynd and Rayne. The novel Mortal Kombat by Jeff Rovin featured P'an Ku (similar to the One Being, from whom all reality is merely a part of), T'ien (who was forged from the 'soul' of P'an Ku), Shang Ti (God of the Mountains and Rivers), Yu (God of Waterways and Canals), and Kuan Lin (A goddess of whom not much else is said).
List of Known Gods
- Raiden - (Former Protector of Earthrealm in both Timelines, former Elder God of Thunder in Original Timeline, former God of Thunder in Current Timeline)
- Lucifer - (Former Protector of Netherrealm)
- Argus - (Former Protector of Edenia)
- Fujin - (God of Wind)
- Kochal - (God of Chaos)
- Fire God
- Earth God
- Water God
- Liu Kang - (God of Thunder and Fire, Keeper of Time, formerly Human)
List of Other Godly Beings
- Raiden - (Formerly in Original Timeline)
- Shinnok - (Fallen Elder God of Death, Corruption and Darkness - son of Kronika)
- Cetrion - (Fallen Elder Goddess of Life, Virtue and Light - daughter of Kronika)
- Kronika - (Former Keeper of Time)
- Shao Kahn - (Former Protector of Outworld in Original Timeline, Immortal in Current Timeline)
Non-Canon Godly Characters
- Elder God of Fire - (Depicted in Mortal Kombat: Annihilation)
- Elder Goddess of Water - (Depicted in Mortal Kombat: Annihilation)
- Kratos - (Guest Character - Demi-God and son of Zeus)
- Liu Kang - (MK 2011 Arcade ending depicts him becoming a God and Protector of Earthrealm)
- Kenshi Takahashi - (Elder God of the Blade - depicted in MK Mobile)
- Tremor - (MKX Arcade Ending depicts him becoming an Earth Elemental Demi-God)
- Skarlet - (MK11 Arcade Ending depicts her becoming a Blood Goddess)
- Kira - (Kobra's Arcade ending depicts her becoming a Goddess of Death)
- Kobra - (Arcade ending depicts him briefly becoming a God before being killed by Kira)
- Liu Kang - (Arcade ending depicts him becoming a God and Protector of Earthrealm)
- Nitara - (Arcade ending depicts her becoming a Goddess of Blood)
- Sektor - (Arcade ending depicts him becoming a God with an unknown trait)
- Sheeva - (Arcade ending depicts her becoming a Goddess of Destruction)
- Sub-Zero - (Arcade ending depicts him becoming an Ice God)
- Taven - (Arcade ending depicts him becoming a full-fledged God; Konquest ending depicts him becoming the new Protector of Edenia)