The Dead Woods is a snow filled forest filled with dead, rotted trees and the long forgotten snow covered bodies of fallen warriors, their rusted weapons close by and wolves can be seen running through the fog in the background. The branches of the trees can be used for multiple purposes, such as swinging off of to gain distance from your opponent or momentum to attack them with. The branches can also be ripped off and use as a melee weapon.
The Dead Woods stage is the stage where the game-beginning tutorial takes place.
The Dead Woods feature five stage interactions. From farthest left to right they are:
- A tree branch that can be used to smack an opponent across the face with.
- A tree to be jumped off of across the field.
- A tree stump to jump off of across the field.
- A tree branch swung from to either leap across the field or strike the opponent in multiple flip kicks.
- A broken tree stump that can be thrown at the opponent.
- A broken tree stump can be thrown and impale the opponent as a Stage Brutality.
- This stage was initially known as Snow Forest before being renamed to Dead Woods. Additionally, in an intro dialogue between Sub-Zero and Kotal Kahn in Mortal Kombat 11, Sub-Zero refers to it as such.
- The Dead Woods first appeared in the cinematic Mortal Kombat X reveal trailer before becoming a fighting arena in the game.